Sunday, January 14, 2007

"Smell the Roses"


On one of my first buying trips in France, at the "Puces du Canal" in Lyon, I met a French
antiquariess, who would become one of my best friends, Genevieve. She helped me load a truck that day that 3 other people had attempted and said, No Way, would it all fit. Well, when you tell a woman you can't do it, that determination sets in. That was the day I learned "Russian Doll Packing."
That was 8 years ago. Since then, Genevieve has taught me a lot about French antiques, negoiating, the best places to buy, French culture, AND how to stop and smell the roses along the way.
Some of my best moments have been sharing good conversation while savoring Genevieve's Paella in her courtyard.
The stucco wall has a painted mural of Venice. Genevieve and Maurice honeymooned there 30 years ago. Although the elements have taken their toll, the beauty still remains.
And as you can see, it's impossible not to "Smell the Roses."


No comments: