Thursday, June 26, 2008

un container plein

Some things just have an aura of Romance.
France would be one of those things!


When I travel to France to buy antiques and brocante, I
try to capture her romance in the objects I bring back.
This is why I'll never ship back a container
sans shutters!


I look for objects that are unique to France and the
French lifestyle. That can be in the colors or the
lines the pieces possess.

Finding those French signatures can take me to out of the way places.
I adore those places. Where else would I see camouflage
netting providing shade while bouncing the suns beautiful rays?

This artist captured her beauty don't you think?

There are some patina's you just cannot reproduce.


Some things even when they are quiet, speak of their past.
If you listen closely, you can hear the story.

They can come in all shapes and sizes

And be found in the most hidden places.
Even in the caves of Opera Houses.
I'm lucky to have so many contacts that many times,
I get 1st dibs.

I'm up at 5am to hit the markets early and have a
couple of French friends who know my style. We
each start in different corners and my cell is never
far from my ear.
I did get the Louis XV style petite commode.

A quick scour of the market and I'm off, to a remote
location. A backyard full of garden delights.
Are you familiar with Mathieu Mategot?
He was a wonderful French Designer whose pieces
aren't easy to find. Guess what I found?


A Ruffier bistro table. Can't pass on this one.
I'd say she captures France at her best!


An unexpected stop and I find this 18th century Dutch beauty.
BUT...I have to pass. She would have to retail for $12,000.
I am on a budget you know and those kind of prices
scare me a bit.
If you want her, let me know and I'll be glad to get her
next time around, (if she is still there).

Some bottle drying racks, French body buckets and these
wonderful copper cheese molds did get loaded in the
container.


l'heure pour le déjeuner

Fast forward. The container has made her way
across the Atlantic. She is full of 19th century
stripped pine cupboards, original painted armoires
and Country French pieces.
Mirrored tables, scrolly iron pieces, weathered urns and
lots of white.

Feminine gold chevets and Louis XVI just follows
me wherever I go.


A French monastery case clock, delicately painted tables
that are early 20th century, a secretary that is to
die for and did you see the grey shutters?

Greys and whites, and canvas covered books
This is what a container unloading looks like.
Trust me, it will come to life.
The scent of lavender still lurks in this Herbist cabinet.
Can you picture this in an original kitchen?
I can, oh boy can I.
Are you starting to get the picture?
This is France!!!!
I came back with a bit more Swedish this time too.


These 19th century, weathered white columns have a
patina that you wouldn't believe!
Want to see it all ?
Join us this Saturday and Sunday at Atelier Home
in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, from 10- 6 pm.


Bisou mon ami's, hope to see you there !!
and don't forget to smell the roses!

20 comments:

LiLi M. said...

Aah you have bought a lot of lovely furniture (and shutters!) again. Unfortunately I cannot make it to come to Ohio, maybe next time...;-D but I enjoyed your pics very very much!

Lilla Blanka said...

Hi!

Thanks for all these gorgeous photos! They are loaded with french atmosphere...I love it!

It must have been very nice to go shopping at those antique markets..I wish I had been there too :)

Big hug,
Mia

Anonymous said...

very, very cool! How fortunate you are to be able to go over France and then to some of it back with you. I wish I still lived in Ohio and could visit.

Lisa & Alfie said...

Ah Shawn,
All I can say is "Sigh....." Just lovely patina, color, texture, design. Thank you again.
Lisa & Alfie

Taddie Tales said...

Can I please just hitch a ride in your knapsack next time you fly across the pond?!?!?!?!?

I LOVE visiting your site - it gives me such inspiration. I only wish I lived closer so that I could see these lovelies in person.

Elena said...

I absolutely enjoyed going through your photos... I'd love to be doing what you get to do ... maybe someday....
Ciao for now, Elena :)

Villa Anna said...

WELL THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!*sarcastic tone* I could cry I want to buy all these exquisite items so much!

Thank you for sharing these dreamy pics.

Anna :)

Mélanie said...

To see my country through your eyes look terrific !!!
You know how to see BEAUTY !
Mategot is one my favorite designer for french garden iron . I have several pieces from him !
You are the best " CHINEUSE"

Di Overton said...

Firstly let me say thank you for listing Designers Block in your Blissful Blogs list. Secondly let me thank you for tempting me over via my Sitemeter. Your photographs are wonderful and your blog is divine. I go to France often buying antiques for my Ghost Furniture range and after seeing your blog I feel as though I am right there at this moment. I have added your blog to my Blogs Worthy of a Mention list.

Whitney said...

LOVE this blog - totally my style of decorating. I will be visiting often!

Barb said...

Thank you so much for the lovely tour. I only wish I lived in your part of the country! I would be there with CC in hand.

Have a blessed weekend,
Barb

Sandy said...

Great big hue SIGH!!! Do you need a shopping assistant? I'd love to have been there, experience that, and brought it all home like you did. Very lucky you are! Thank you for sharing your finds.

cotedetexas said...

I wish I was there!!!!

Aunty Belle said...

Ah...Sweet Thang, comin' to your site is like a vacation!!

Ain't too sure how I stumbled in heah--but I have clipped some of your pics and posted them wif' swoons and sighs over on mah front porch.

(Out of Aunty-speak, I will make a point of stopping by when next I am up your way. This is truly a lovely blog site. Enjoyed it immensely.)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And thank you for bringing us with you on your journey! I could nearly smell the lavender fields and fresh croissants through the computer ;-) Your finds are divine btw!!

Beneath the Eaves said...

Your site allows me travel and dream.
I too wish I lived closer so I could view it all first hand when you are home. You talent for choosing just the right pictures to capture the feel of your journey is amazing.
Thank you for sharing it all.

Anonymous said...

I "shutter" to think what I would do in your store. I bet I couldn't "contain" myself!!!
Wink and I want everything!
D.

Magnolia Street Style said...

Talk about eye candy, what beautiful photos. You captured the romance wonderfully. Can you imagine the stories those walls and finds could tell if only they could talk?

Oliver's said...

I adore these pictures! But that herb chest is amazing. I have prepared my husband that if we ever build another home I will have my kitchen built around antiques such as this. Is this a piece you have in your store? How much would something like that cost a gal? Thank you for all the lovely pictures I enjoy your blog so much. Paula

Anonymous said...

I shall live vicariously through you! :)

Joy